There is not many warm and comforting dishes I like more than curry, especially one that has chickpeas. This is a vegan recipe but you can also replace it with chicken, tofu, or whatever protein you like. Serve with some rice, or some Naan bread, you have a delicious meal. Also it isn’t too spicy, I will be testing out some green curry for you all out there that are into spice.
The recipe is pretty simple, I use canned chickpeas, but I bet it would be even better with some made yourself. I usually buy dried garbanzo beans in bulk, much cheaper than canned. but we want something simple and fast, and a lot of people don’t have time for making the beans. This is cooked in the instant pot and takes about 45 minutes from start to finish, look below for how to make it on the stove top. (Spoiler, super easy)
Now I like to go to the Asian store to get the coconut milk, curry paste, and other ingredients. You can get good quality food for not too much, and there are many other interesting things you can get as well, Japanese sweet potatoes are some of my favorite.
Now onto the recipe!
Vegan Chickpea Curry
- 1 Onion Diced (Of your choosing, I used yellow)
- 2 Medium Carrots Diced
- 1 TBSP Minced Garlic
- 1 TBSP Fresh Grated Ginger (Heaping)
- 3-4 TBSP Yellow Curry Paste (2 if you don’t like any spice)
- 1 Heaping tsp Turmeric
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
- 1 Can Diced Tomatoes (Or about 2-3 large tomatoes)
- 2 Cans of Chickpeas
- 1 Can Full Fat Coconut Milk
- Put your instant pot on “saute” mode and add in some oil, put in the onion and carrots and cooked for about 2 minutes.
2. Add in the garlic and ginger and cook for another 2 minutes.
3. Add in the rest of your ingredients and set your Instant Pot to high pressure for 20 minutes. Quick release when done.
4. That’s it! If you like a thicker curry (As I do) simmer on saute until desired consistency or mix a table spoon of flour with 1 1/2 TBSP of water and mix in, simmering for about 3-5 minutes.
If you don’t have an Instant pot follow the same instructions, on medium-high heat. After adding all the ingredients just simmer covered for about 30 minutes on low, or until the carrots are soft and cooked through.